Friday, April 20, 2007

Not my type ... at all

6:50AM

“Obviously I am not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were trying to please people, I would not be Christ’s servant." Galatians 1:10

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:2

(We’ll get back to Sex in a minute, but first the word from our sponsor …

Something strange happens when you dust off your Bible, peel open the pages and take time to read it. Like, you might catch your eyebrows arching in astonishment and gasping, “Wow! This is good stuff in here!”

Shoot, keep on reading for a week or two and you’ll be surprised at how much of what you read applies to your life. You might even start finding you’ve got favorite books and look forward to reading even more.

One other thing I’ve noticed: re-reading the same books only makes them better and better, the stories more exciting, the lessons more compelling and more relevant than ever.

Start reading Luke to preview the big picture. Then set sail with Paul for a Mediterranean adventure (shipwreck’s comin’!) before discovering the joy of following Christ in Philippians. Then take a deep breath, and see where you’re led next.

Log out of MySpace, let your Ipod battery die a lingering death, turn off the flippin’ TV and find out for yourself: The Bible doesn’t waste time with commercials or re-runs … and since its bandwidth is infinite you’ll never find yourself waiting for a download.)

This is just me, but …

I take a pretty dim view of “dating” and relationships. Dating seems a lot like hurrying out into the woods and blindly firing a shotgun into a flock passing overhead, hoping the right bird falls out.

Makes more sense to pick the best target, stay ready and wait till she gets within range.

Then take careful aim (to avoid accidentally wounding others) and shoot once, to be sure you’re getting the one you intended.

What about relationships? Relationships are what we have while we’re waiting for something better to come along.

She went to church once for Easter, so tomorrow I’m proposing

If you grew up in church you were certainly warned, Never marry someone who’s not a Christian. Let’s throw that barn door open and see what wanders in from the pasture:

“Oh yeah, she goes to church. I know because one time I asked her.”

“He was baptized as a kid … but says organized religion’s not for him.”

"Well she doesn’t call herself a Christian, but she’s very spiritual and stuff.”

“He almost came to church with me last week, but he needs time to relax on weekends.”

“She’s a Christian, but can’t stand the people in her church.”

“Not yet … but I think I can change him.”

You get the point. We live in a country where 85% of the population identifies itself as “Christian.” Yet the divorce rate is higher than ever, state governments can’t build prisons fast enough, teen pregnancy and abortion rates are sky-rocketing … and something like only 3% of regular church-goers bother giving their minimum, their tithe.

Lots of so-called Christians, but it looks like the picture’s fallen outta the frame.

OK, so who are you waiting for? Mother Theresa?

A woman who’s totally, completely, fearlessly devoted to and in love with Christ. A woman whose life screams Jesus Is Alive! and who challenges me spiritually. Daily and in ways I wasn’t expecting. A woman who makes me want to follow Christ more closely and stick faithfully, selflessly, to the plan he has for our lives.

A Godly woman who seeks him in prayer, understands his unique purpose for her life and treats her body like the gift, the treasure, it is.

A woman who’d nudge me once in while and wink, “God really knew what he was doing all along, didn’t he?” (If you get the picture without needing the colors filled in.)

A woman deserving to be honored, protected and cherished … a daughter of the king.

Because I don’t believe for an instant Christ came to earth and spilled his blood, allowed himself to be crucified in my place, and rose from the dead to guarantee my salvation with the intention of then looking the other way while I “got involved,” dated around, played Holy Spirit to convert my latest sweetie, ignored scripture, made excuses for casual sex … or in any way settled for second-best.

Do you?

No comments: