Monday, July 09, 2007

Having Faith;Thinking VISUALLY about believing

A few days ago I shot some video footage during the tornado that just missed clobbering the marina.

Even while I was holding the camera with one hand and whatever grab handle was available with the other, I remember glimpsing back and forth from the viewfinder to the live tumult threatening to knock me off my feet and thinking, "Things just don't look that bad on the screen."

Can you just believe me when I say the boat was rolling past 45 degrees?

The next day I got a few shots of the storm's aftermath:


Above: this is the ramp to my house. I mean boat.



Dock 4 [above] broke loose from its cables & created a dilemma, "How do I get there from here?"


Answer: Sideways, I reckon.




Above [two images]: Dock 4 broke loose at both ends, and began its seasonal migration south with Dock 3.

Dock 10 (above) also broke entirely free, and finally came ashore on the beach.

---

I know this is gonna be hard if you're at work but if you've been skimming and skipped watching the video, try watching it now on a full-screen window, with the volume turned up. Like, as loud as if you'd actually been there.

Now imagine it's not daylight but 3 AM, and somebody asks you to climb out of Calypso and walk on the water to where they're standing, on the dock you seeing getting pummeled in the background.

Could ya do it? Would ya even think about trying, like Peter did?

Didn't grasp till Alden's message yesterday morning what it would've been like stepping off a tiny boat during a bad, bad storm at night to try walking on water.

But it also sunk in that if I actually had faith enough to absolutely trust and follow when Jesus said "Yes, come," then the waves and insignificant storms in my life would never even splash my shoes.

1 comment:

o.r.p. said...

Wow.
Um, Joe.. Next time there's a tornado out there, how about.. TAKING SHELTER??? LOL Preferably in a sturdy structure that doesn't have any chance of sinking to the bottom of the lake??
Francis and I would miss you if you went missing.
--b