Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Would you go to a church where the pastor didn't know your name?

I've heard a lot of remarks like that ... implying that because of the sheer size of the congregation, mega-churches are impersonal, which hints that members can't get a full measure of "pastoral care."  

Another comment I've heard is "When I die, I wanna know who's doing my funeral."

I don't think any one can ever really know that, and besides, by the time the occasion comes around, will you really care?  ("Excuse me Lord, but before I get moved into my mansion, can I take a peek down there and make sure the right guy's preaching my funeral?")

Now pretend like it's my turn, and I'll ask a different question:

- Would you belong to and participate in a church where the pastor knows your name ... but doesn't like you?

What?!  How can a man call himself a pastor and not like every single person in the congregation?  If I even suspected that was true, why in the world would I want to keep going- and giving my money- to a church led by somebody who didn't like me?  Just give me one good reason.

That one reason would be Because God wants you there.

And unlike folks who're always finding something about church to complain and gripe about, God's never once been wrong, changed his mind or made a mistake.










No comments: