Sunday, September 16, 2007

Anger, Rape, Murder … and Who’s Your Daddy?

7:42 pm

I did a post about anger & rage the other day; I’m coming back to it because I don’t think I was quite clear enough: Anger is a sin. Anger is a sin deserving of more attention because Anger can only grow from a tiny seed called vanity.

Ok, how’s that again?

Remember the Roman soldier who stuck the spear in Christ’s side … let’s call him Sam the Solider. His duty (as part of the crucifixion squad) was to absolutely make sure no one came down from the cross alive.

Historical records indicate it sometimes took criminals condemned to die by crucifixion almost a week to die … before exposure, dehydration and muscle fatigue ultimately took their toll. So if Christ seemed to die within 3 hours of being crucified, Sam’s job was to make sure the deaths of condemned prisoners was both sincere and … complete.

Roman law tended to be a bit intolerant of slackers: if Sam messed up and “let one get away” then he had to replace the “missing” prisoner’s life with his own. So Sam used his spear to make good n’ sure Christ was dead.

If Christ had been like you and me, after the resurrection he woulda tracked Sam down, jabbed a finger in his face and started shouting “So how do you like me now?” or even “I was dead, now I’m not … you want come git some of this?”

But that’s not what happened.

Christ had more reason to be angry at Sam than you and I will ever have to get mad at anybody, ever … but Jesus just had other things on his mind.

Like following God’s plan, and doing his Father’s will.

- - -- --

Anger comes from vanity; vanity comes from pride; pride comes from ignoring Christ and putting “Me first” and results from immature believers thinking I’M MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU SO WHAT EVER I WANNA DO IS OK (and my mommy says so).

Putting ME FIRST makes ignoring God’s plan and getting OUR WAY so much easier … and is ultimately what makes rape, murder, abortion & genocide seem entirely reasonable and justifiable. Anger is an enabler that makes us feel entitled to pick n’ choose whatever roles or behavior ... or scripture … we like.

Because we’re convinced we deserve it.

PUTTING ME FIRST means I get to re-write scripture, make my own plans, stick to my own schedule, prescribe my own eternity … and heck, for that matter, completely leave God outta the equation … because PUTTING ME FIRST means is I’m only accountable to myself.

Uh, yo earthworm guess what? You’re deceptively gullible and a liar: that’s proven on its face every time you choose to ignore God … and put faith in lies.

Now just for fun, guess who’s the father of all lies?

1 comment:

o.r.p. said...

Ok, I can see that on some level.. but I seem to remember that God is a pretty angry dude himself, sometimes. (Listen to "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" sometime.. THAT'll put hair on your chest..) LOL
:-)
--b