Wednesday, December 12, 2007

judge as I say, not as I do

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
-Matthew 7:1-2

Something occurred to me yesterday: we tend to remember that passage as Christ's warning against making negative judgments, but does it equally apply to judging things we might like and want- things that seem attractive and totally desirable-- that we just might want for ourselves?

Like, when we make judgments about others, "So-and-so has the total package ... a fairy-tale marriage to the perfect spouse, wonderful kids, great looks, fame, prestige, deep-pocket wealth and every other sign of material success ... exactly all the things I want in my life, too."

Lest others judge you to be superficial, shallow, vain and selfish?

No comments: