Friday, December 28, 2007

Yep, uh huh

About a week ago I had the opportunity to go shooting with the surgeon who did the PRK-procedure on my eyes.

What may have been the most memorable moment of 2007 occurred right after he suggested I try firing a Jeffery 450 #2 Nitro Express ... from the bench rest. Just to check my aim.

Left to right - .450 N.E., .500/.450, .450 no.2, .465 and .470.

Hahahaha 45 minutes later, generally satisfied neither my nose nor right hand was broken, I felt like I was marginally OK to drive home.

Later that night I told TPW on the phone, "What happened? I just don't remember recoil affecting me that much."

After listening to me whine and complain for 15 minutes she said, "As long as I've known you, you always come back from shooting whining about how much such-and-such rifle kicks."

--- ----

One day we'll talk more about it.

One day we'll talk more about stepping aboard the Nitro Sleigh Ride. One day we'll talk about leaving the trigger, flying along the rifle's front sight and feeling the primer's ignition blow 3 tons of kinetic energy down the slim 110-year old barrels resting between your bare, unprotected fingers. One day we'll talk about ...

"Yeah," she said. "Now stop talking about it."

No comments: