Sunday, March 01, 2009

Get real happy (or die trying)

During another round of discussion tonight concerning The Secret, I started wondering why so many Me-First books dominate sales lists and grow into best-sellers.

Is it because people have already accepted the mindset that their lives' value is based on the creed that Nothing On Earth Can Possibly Be More Important Than Satisfying My Needs, And Making Me Happy?

All it would take to make me happy, the thinking goes, is the perfect career, the perfect salary, the perfect body type, the perfect spouse, the perfect house, the perfect car, the perfect kids, the perfect country club ... just give me those basics, and I'm sure that's all it'd take to make me happy.

No; I disagree.

I'm not going too far out on a limb by suggesting this: Listen up ... all your personal needs, goals, priorities, ambitions and expectations could be met by 5 PM tomorrow, yet within 3 years, max, you'd be feeling exactly the same way about yourself as you do now.

And you'd be anxiously looking for the next thing  it'll take to make yourself happy all over again,  because your goal of being happy lies in satisfying yourself.

So what's it gonna take?  Why are so many people desperately craving happiness ... and falling on flat on their faces trying to find it?

Happiness is temporary; joy is not.  Happiness is a passing impression; joy is the result of certainty and conviction. 

Happiness is internal and within me; joy is the assurance that God's purpose is greater than me.


The prospect of the righteous is joy, 
       but the hopes of the wicked come to nothing.

- Proverbs 10:28

Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
- John 16:24




No comments: