Thursday, March 19, 2009

Picadillo: the sofrito secret

(Thursday morning musings from Calypso's galley)

Regular readers know I'm a big fan of the Cuban dish Picadillo, and usually cook a homemade batch several times each month.

Never mind that it's impossible to find real Vigo Spanish arroz amarillo in these parts (I'm starting to think Picadillo should be served over white rice anyway). 

[above: Picadillo photo from wikipedia]

The other day I found what promised to be the "real secret" of making Picadillo, and decided to give the secret a try last Tuesday night.


Was the result equal to what I remember at Cafe Mercedes in Tampa?

No, but it was a major taste-step in the right direction ... so I'll be tinkering some more with the spices next week.

(above: A view from 14th Street down 7th Avenue in Ybor City, c. 1930- source)


above: Seventh Avenue, Ybor City, Tampa- source


No comments: