Monday, March 16, 2009

Studying the obvious

(Monday Night blog lite)

Saturday night I walked across the street to Safeway, did my shopping, and walked out carrying five plastic bags stuffed full of groceries.  By the time I crossed Boston Street and got back to the marina I was worried the bags would break, so I grabbed a dock cart and used it to wheel my onerous load back to the boat.  

Then I made supper, blogged a little bit and went to sleep.

Around noon the next day I realized stuff from my list was missing.  Lots of items I'd paid for had vanished.  A quick check of my receipt confirmed my worst suspicions:  some of my edibles were missing.



After about three hours of fretting and searching every square inch of my boat I finally gave up and accepted the obvious solution.  The obvious solution was that after arriving back at my boat, I forgot to tote all my groceries on board.   

When I finally went outside and looked up and down the dock, I realized the dock cart was gone.  

So were my groceries.

It's been a couple of days now but still I catch myself wondering, How come stuff like that happens?  I dunno.

Or maybe I just forgot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mental Abilities Peak at 22: New Study


By The Staff at wowOwow.com

Do you forget where you parked the car? Do you search for words? Well, we’ve got bad news for you: New research shows that mental abilities peak at age 22 — and start to decline by age 27.

University of Virginia researchers tested more than 2,000 men and women between the ages of 18 and 60, over the course of seven years, asking them to solve puzzles, take memory tests and spot patterns. They discovered that in nine of the 12 tests, the 22-year-olds came out on top.

By the age of 27, peak scores started to go south for tests of reasoning, speed of thought and spatial visualization. By 37, memory was starting to diminish.

The silver lining? According to the Daily Mail, the report states that "abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or general information, increase until at least the age of 60." 

No comments: