Friday, March 06, 2009

My newest Facebook friend ...

Baltimore Crime Map sent me a Facebook friend invitation this morning.  According to the Info section of their Profile, BCM's sole acitivity is "Mapping crime in Baltimore so residents can stay informed and keep safe."

Seems like a worthwhile idea so I accepted, even if I wasn't quite sure how BCM found me (or what brought me to their attention).

Probably because I'm a member of Facebook's Baltimore network ... but it's not hard to imagine innovative new algorithms are already in the works at corporations, political causes, fund-raising & marketing agencies ... and even evangelical churches ... to identify, target and develop ultra-specific aggregations of potential "friends" within Facebook's 24 million+ users.

It's gonna be interesting to watch what happens to the modulus of social networking as Facebook, according to Fortune,  "now wants to become a place for anyone to build applications for social computing." 

"The short version is that Facebook is taking its two major assets - its 24-million-members (growing at about 150,000 per day) and its strong technology underpinnings - and making them available to all comers."


No comments: