Saturday, June 21, 2008

License to Learn

I remember the Saturday morning I completed my oral exam and check ride and proudly showed Rob, the flying instructor, my brand new private pilot's license.

He glanced down at my license and handed it right back to me. "Remember, it says Pilot License - but it's actually a Learner's License."

-- -- --
Having a Pilot's License doesn't mean you've got the experience to have learned all there is to know about flying. A license doesn't keep you from crashing or making mistakes. Having a license doesn't entitle you to sit back in the cockpit and watch the clouds drift by under your wings.

Having a license has little to do with excellence or decision-making skills; only time and experience builds good judgment.

A license merely means you've met the minimum requirements ... and the best way to stay alive in the air is by applying what little you've learned.

And never stop learning.