Monday, January 07, 2008

Belief, Conviction and boating on the Delaware

I believe George Washington crossed the Delaware River on Christmas night 1776, to attack the Hessian troops in Trenton. I believe that's a literal fact.

But I don't measure myself or live according to Washington's life. Even though I just professed my belief.

I mean, nobody would ever look at me and think, "Now there's a guy who totally lives according to his conviction that Washington crossed the Delaware." Even though I absolutely, honestly and completely believe that it happened. I just choose not to have my life affected by what I believe. I mean, not by all of my beliefs.

Hmmmm .... now that it's Monday and I start thinking about it, what I believe about Washington crossing the Delaware is a private matter ... and nobody else's business.

No comments: