Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sorry, I didn't recognize you in here without a tie

The other afternoon I was sitting in Fran's car while she used my lap top to do some work-related stuff on the web.

Suddenly I remembered how much water I'd had at lunch ... and there I was on the marina restaurant's parking lot. U-r-g-e-n-c-y rhymes with EMERGENCY and well, you get the idea.

The restaurant didn't open for another 90 minutes but with no other option I ducked inside.

I know (by a first name anyway) 99% of the nice folks who work there, but the point of re-telling this mundane story is that I had trouble recognizing most of them: without uniforms, still dressed in their "casual clothes," they looked so different from the folks I knew.

Entirely different; a simple necktie and button-down shirt can make someone seem familiar when they're totally not.

Man I can be so shallow sometimes, even when I think I'm paying attention.

No comments: