Saturday, February 17, 2007

Notes on Flying Solo

I vividly remember the first time I soloed in an airplane because the experience was not only a major thrill, but flying alone also gave me an entirely new and unexpected perspective ... about several things.

At the end of that afternoon's lesson the instructor told me stop on the taxi way, opened the door and stepped out. He leaned into the cabin with a handheld radio in one hand and said, "Joe, you know exactly what to do and you've proved to me you've already got the ability. Now show me you can fly this airplane."

Then he grinned, shut the cockpit door and watched from the grass beside the runway while I pushed the throttle home and began accelerating down the runway. As the tiny airplane leapt into the air I remember glancing at the empty seat beside me and thinking, "Whoa. I'm up here by myself ... and nobody can get me back down except me."

The idea tickled me giddy because I was so eager to be done with the mind-numbing memorization of gas, gear, wheels, propeller and trim. I wanted to finally enjoy the sensation of flying, and the freedom of actually being in the air ... without an instructor murmuring in my earphones.

About a minute later I leveled off in the landing pattern and peeked back down at the ground, noticing I while could no longer see my instructor I remembered he had his radio on, just in case a "situation" arose.

That was the reality of flying solo for the very first time. I had the ability and knowledge to do what was necessary to land safely ... and all I had to do was remember my training and ultimately perform and execute.

One of the things that discourages me most often is seeing believers who carry their old sins around in their pockets ... like a set of keys to a house they no longer own.

So many behaviors and attitudes have become routines that they're habits and we no longer see them for what they are: Sins.

And even though the smallest, most insignificant and seemingly trivial and harmless sin-- whether it's gossiping, telling "white lies" or throwing a temper tantrum still represents a detour, a hurdle and an obstacle in our walk with Christ.

Maybe the thrill of salvation has gradually worn away because our faith is rusty and out of practice. Maybe eternity seems too far off in the future to be concerned about. Or maybe there's something we want- whether it's emotional, sexualk or material doesn't matter- We Want It Right Now to satisfy ourselves and think God won't notice if we help ourselves to it.

... or maybe we think we're flying so high on our own we can't see Christ is still watching.

Maybe some of us feel scared of being "out there" in the big sky in a tiny airplane all by ourselves either because we lack the necessary skills to keep going, or no longer have confidence in our training.

Maybe without a legalistic voice in our earphones reminding us of the rules, we feel entirely free to ignore them.

Maybe it's simply too hard to think about Performing and Executing when the time comes or fear has so eroded our faith that we doubt we can ever get back down on solid ground.

We forget Christ the prayer's radio there when "situations" develop ... even after we'ved turned the communications radio off. The difference is, obviously, that no matter what it feels or seems like, believers are never soloing or flying alone in the cockpit.

God's always there and faith in him through Christ comes with incredible power to walk away from sin and temptation ... if we trust and believe that we can.

-and no I'm not perfect, either.

No comments: