Sunday, February 18, 2007

Posting by invitation ...

This is Joseph Sangl, standing in for the Big Papa today. I am the personal finance wildman that Papa has referred to regularly in his daily blogs.


I was asked to post today by an invitation from the Papa. It made me think about the power of "Inviting".

Come on over to my house for dinner. That is an invitation to learn a lot about someone. They are opening up a portion of their life that most of their peers never see. You will be able to see their neighborhood, their living arrangements, the type of food that is eaten, and how they interact with their family.

Want to go to church with me? Want to learn a lot about someone? Attend church with them. See if they act any differently than they do normally!

Can you help me work on my house? This allows you to see how well they interact with others. It allows you to see how they interact with friends, suppliers, contractors, etc.

Would you help me move? Wow! You get to see all of the person's stuff! Very cool.

Invitations are incredibly important ways to learn about someone. Many times the invitation is very subtle. We are scared to open up parts of our lives to others so we veil the invitation. Occasionally, someone will pick us up on the invitation. I have met most of my closest friends through an invitation to go help them with something or to visit somewhere with them.

Papa - Thanks for the invitation!

No comments: