Thursday, October 11, 2007

Nosy nosy

Still no prospect of regular web access from my dock, which meant roaming around Marina City's parking lot in search of a wireless signal.

I started going online from Huddle House because there's a dude where I live who's convinced that I'm a "private investigator" and enjoys sneaking up to the truck and suddenly banging on the door while I'm online to demand "What the %#*! are you doing? Who the #$&! are you watching?"

After five surprise encounters with this guy (maybe he's too drunk to remember the first four times?), these confrontations start getting old. Scary even ... especially because not even "the dock regulars" know who he is, and his behavior's so weird some of them have become anxious to uh, make his acquaintance.

Anyway, back to the present.

So why do people feel so entitled to snoop and be so nosy? I mean, people walking past the table will practically stop and read my e-mails along with me. Even dudes with Spock-style phone pods screwed into their ear holes gape as if seeing something new from outer space.

It's not just bad manners; it's something to do with feeling entitled to butt-in and indulge without consequences.

No comments: