Sunday, December 28, 2008

Boats, Bars, Buildings and Back

Today I walked 2.1 miles from where I am, to Fells Point, and back.  Why is that worth mentioning?  Well, just a few months ago I couldn't walk to the back of my boat, and wasn't sure I'd ever be able to walk again.

For me, today was a more than a miracle.

--   ---   --

Because today I walked past two hundred year old buildings, down cobblestone streets and past two hundred foot long boats.  I saw things and places I'd never seen before.  And before I turned around, I walked past the 200 year old bar where Edgar Allan Poe was last seen alive on October 3, 1849.

At the end I walked back to my boat ... seeing tugboats, freighters, tankers and the city's bright sky-line all around ...  and realized the thing I like most about being here is how much it reminds me of Davis Islands when I was a kid.


But after seeing all of this wrapped up in one long walk, so what?

---  --   ---

As he was leaving the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Look, Teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!"

"Do you see all these great buildings?" replied Jesus. "Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

- Mark 13:1-2

So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: 
       "See, I lay a stone in Zion, 
       a tested stone, 
       a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; 
       the one who trusts will never be dismayed.

- Isaiah 28:16

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.

- Ephesians 2:19-21


No comments: