Friday, December 19, 2008

Tugboat Fandango


I need to start toting a camera with me at all times: the photo above was taken as soon as I'd climbed back aboard Calypso and grabbed my camera ... about a minute too late.

It's gonna be hard describing what I saw, so please be patient ... and use your imagination.

Two tugboats were busy moving Meriom Iris away from its dock, but then one tugboat did something I've never seen before.  

Soon as the ship was clear of the dock and steering under her own power, one of the tugs backed up to the ship's bow (front) on the starboard (right) side, and helped steer the ship into the channel.

What?!

Then as the ship began picking up speed, the tiny tug began rotating counter-clockwise, until it reached the 3 o'clock position, and quietly scooted out of the way.  Still, the tugboat was pushing against and helping steer the massive ship the whole time ... even while the tug itself was facing backwards and turning herself in the opposite direction.

I don't know much about either tugboats or seamanship, but seeing the tug captain doing his stuff was incredible.

Like a mechanized maritime dance, in 3D.

--   ---  --

This is so cool: real-time vessel locations here.


No comments: