Sunday, October 01, 2006

Villanova Junction - (Second Update)-This Is SO John Mayer WEIRD


Live at Woodstock, as full of color, vision and intensity as it is, may be the clearest illustration why Jimi Hendrix's death was such a tragedy.”

"Mitch Mitchell is a monster on drums, his heavy kick and otherwise busy attack a counterpart to Jimi’s guitar work.

"That [Hendrix] could not bring to fruition all the ambition inherent in this project makes his untimely death all that much more of a tragedy.

Villanova Junction ... is, like so many Hendrix ballads, a real keeper ... it suggests just how many directions Jimi would have been capable of pursuing had he lived." -source

Villanova Junction starts 15 seconds into here.

----------------------------

I love this song.

But it took years before I thought I understood why, after re-ordering space/time with his "Purple Haze" guitar solo [see 1:26-2:24 here], Jimi Hendrix followed with this unusual song, ended the 60s and closed out the Woodstock Rock Festival.

Here's how to play ...

This song is an instumental tune in A
------------------------------------I-----------------------------
------------------------------------I-----------------------------
------------5---7----8-7/9\7\5----7-I-----------------------------
----7---7---------------------------I--7---7---7---7---7---7---7--
------------3---5----5-5/7\5\3----5-I-----------------------------
----5---5---------------------------I--5---5---5---5---5---5---5--


----------------------------------I-----------------------5-------
---------------------8/10-10/8----I-------------------------------
------------5---7-----------------I--7-------X---X--X--X----------
----7---7------------5/-7--7/5----I----------X---X--X--X----------
------------3---5-----------------I--5---5---X---X--X--X----------
----5---5-------------------------I-------------------------------

HP
---------------------I----5--8--5---------------------------------
---------------------I----6---------------------------------------
--------------5------I-------------------5------------------5-H-7-
---------------------I----------------7--7------------5---7-------
--5---8---5-------5--I----------------5-------5--5-H-7------------
---------------------I--------------------------------------------


-------------------7-h-5-------I----------5-----------------------
-------------------5-----------I--------5-------------------------
-------------------------------I-------------5-H-7----------------
---5---7---7---------------7---I--------7-----------5--7--5-------
-------------------------------I------------------------------7---
---------------------------5---I----------------------------------


------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
---x----------10---9---8-------5----------------------------------
---x---------------------------3----------------------------------
---x---8---8---8---7---6----5---------5---5---5---5---------------
-------------------------------------------------------8^---------


------------------------------------------------------------------I
-------------HP---------------------------------------------------I
-----------5-7--5----------------------------5--------------------I
-----7---------------5H7-----5H7--------5-------------------------I
------------------------------------------------------------------I
---5----------------------------------------------5---------------I
credits here.

If you got to wikipedia.com and enter "Villanova Junction" as your search term, it takes you to the John Mayer page.

Ya'll cut it out, for pete's sake.

No comments: