Saturday, May 26, 2007

I could never be part of a mega-church

I’ve heard that a lot, and the point “seems” valid on its face.

A “big church” with thousands of members implies an anonymous indifference at the core of what’s supposed to be a profoundly spiritual and personal experience.

Like, “Does my involvement matter?” and “Where do I fit in?” or "Will the pastor himself preach at my funeral?"

But then …

-The guy I work for has three sons. Two go to NS
-Three couples on the dock where I live go to NS
-One of the “dock boys” I run into every day goes to NS
-Another of the dock boys has a girlfriend who goes to NS

In other words, I run into folks from my “mega-church” 24x7. Members of my church seem to pop up when and where I least expect them. So maybe there’s another reason why some people think they couldn’t belong to a “mega-church.”

Might be called accountability, and never knowing who you’ll run into. Maybe in places where you feel the “safest” and farthest from church … in the places you’d least expect to see a familiar face. In places where sin might seem to count the least.

Uh oh. Just saying.

It’s not your PP (personal/private) experiences that matters, so it’s silly trying to balance your side of the equation by playing deal-maker with God. Or in trying to negotiate or dictate what makes you feel safe, familiar, happy and self-righteous on Sunday mornings.

Besides, there’s a big difference between being A-part and being In-volved.

Long Time No Playlist; Cat Got the Playlist?” Playlist:
Mighty to Save
Made to Worship

No comments: