Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sometimes, it IS all about me

I hope I never get another email from a friend or acquaintance growling, "Why are you slamming me in your blog?"

I'm not. The Blue Book is an online Memo to Self, that's all. Aimed directly and straight at me. So shake off the angst, and climb back on board with no hard feelings.

---
I wish you'd go to Africa with me. Two weeks might change what you think you know about what matters and what doesn't; about what's real and what's not.

Believers are gonna see each again one day in Heaven. And in the past year I've thought a lot about seeing Kito or Jabari, and wondering what I'd say.

"Kito, ain't Heaven great? What brought you here any way?"

"Joe, my family died because we had no water. Not even enough for the children."

"Wow Kito, I hate to hear it. That's rough."

"Well we're here with God now, aren't we? And that's all that matters."

I glance down at my toes, instead of seeing into Kito's eyes. Never thought I'd be stammering in Heaven.

"Look Kito, I thought it was someone else's ministry to help your church and your family."

This time, it's his turn to look away. "Oh yes, I'm sure of it."

"Kito, living like we do ... I mean did .... even haircuts are expensive in America. And let's not bring up taxes, utilities and essentials like insurance. They don't just give stuff away, you know."

I imagine Kito nodding. "I'm sure you believe it. You needed a haircut, and I needed a drink of water. But the thing you received the most was free." Kito shrugs and smiles. "You looked the other way, decided your priorities and what's important ... then forgot all about it."

I'm ready to walk away, before remembering that's exactly what I did when I had the chance. I hear Kito call behind me, "Do you have time to meet my brothers and sisters?"

Just glad he didn't say Our Brothers and Sisters.

---

Calypso is showing her age and sure would look good with a new top and pin striping. A DVD changer in the rear berth would be awesome, and save me some walking when I can't find the remote. No doubt some new, brighter carpeting would really open up the small spaces, too.
---

"I want you to give until it hurts." - Mother Theresa

And then give like you mean it.

No comments: