Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Believe I Can Fly

How often do you hear this: "Does your church teach that believing in Jesus is the only the way to get to Heaven? Because I believe that God is infinite and perfect, he wouldn't leave just one way available for people to reach Heaven because everybody's different. I think each person has to decide how to achieve their salvation."

In other words when it comes to Salvation, everybody alive today is entitled to having the Creator of the universe conform eternity to fit their expectations.

I wonder how well that mindset applies to the little situations we face in everyday life:

-Traffic laws in Tanzania (and there aren't many) require driving on the left-hand side of the road. But being from America, I believe in driving on the right-hand side. After nearly causing five accidents in two blocks, I had the opportunity to explain to the police two more of my core beliefs: all policemen should speak English, and police should only carry batons as decorations.

-I went to buy a new car, and carefully explained my beliefs to the salesman: I believe in 50% discounts off the sticker price, 30-year no-money-down financing with 0% interest, and 500,000 miles unlimited parts & labor warranties. I also believe in receiving trade-in values equivalent to the new-car purchase price.

-Gas prices are way too high (especially since about half my driving time is spent wandering around lost). My belief is that the oil companies are charging way too much, so when I fill up from now on I'm just gonna leave a $10 bill on the pump, and let the clerk figure it out.

-The New Spring band is simply & amazingly awesome. Because I'm enthusiastically convinced of my vocal talents, I'm gonna call Lee and insist that he conform to my belief that I should start singing with the band right away.

-Gravity was first described by some guy named Newton (actually I'm not even sure such a guy ever existed ... I believe about 300 physicists got together at the Council of Vienna several hundred years ago and after a narrow vote, decided whether gravity was real). Because I believe each person must decide for themselves whether gravity is real, I'm heading up to the attic right now with a pair of home-made wings I built using a Da Vinci drawing as a guide, and see if I can fly myself non-stop from my roof to LA.

Maybe what's never occurred to people is that because God is perfect then He must also be unique ... and is therefore justified in giving us only one plan, a perfectly unique way through Jesus Christ, for salvation ... and it doesn't really matter if you choose to believe otherwise.

God made salvation available through Jesus Christ to anyone who's willing to believe in Him ... and He did it without needing any input from a fallible, insignificant and imperfect person like me.

No comments: