Sunday, June 10, 2007

3 for Sunday: Persistence Pays

6:18 AM

An Ordinary Regular Person can be downright persistent sometimes. When she wants to be, I mean.

Like inviting me to church ("Just go one time") and again the the next week Just go one time and again for several months afterward Just go one time! ... until I finally agreed and said Yes.

Man. The way some people can be when it comes to doing things they think are important.
---

Friday night I had dinner downstairs at the marina restaurant while waiting for B's band to play at a wedding rehearsal upstairs. That's how I ran into Ashley, the server, after she'd gone MIA during finals last semester. We'd been out of touch for almost a month so she sat down for a minute while we got caught up.

I've known Ashley for a while and the time finally seemed right to invite her (and her trainee) to church: "Just go one time."

Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a group of five or six people walk behind me as they left their table. A man clasped me on the shoulder and said, "Hey New Spring!" Ashley asked if I knew who he was.

I've got no idea ... at least I didn't get enough of a glimpse to recognize his face.

Later I walked out without remembering to pay the check, so Ashley came upstairs to find me. And there I was sitting with Brigette and her fiance at their table ... like a circle, because B had invited me and then I'd invited Ashley (who said no without saying no) ... or maybe B is a better, more persistent and less likely to be discouraged inviter than me.

The next day, Saturday, around noon I ran into Ashley again at the gas pump. This time she was in a swimsuit and helped empty Calypso's holding tank (now that's a real friend) after scrambling over the decks with a fuel hose.

She pointed to Calypso's side window and grinned, "You've got the sticker."

I nodded Yes, "It helps keep me straight."

Anybody who helps empty my holding tank is gonna keep getting asked ... for as long as it takes: Just go one time.
---

A little bit about my friend Dr. Mac. Mac does surgical stuff with lasers and specializes in chronic pain management. I met Mac several years ago, not long after I succumbed to ORP's persistent invitation to "Just go one time" and saw my life turned upside around.

Mac's got a Biology degree from Yale, an MD from Tufts and could probably convince Darwin himself that evolution is a crock. He urged me to read The Case for Christ, to see The Passion of the Christ and prayed with me on the parking lot at the Pickens County shooting range. Mac's not shy about sharing his faith.

The timing that came 3 years ago with the opportunity to meet and grow a friendship with a strong man of faith like Mac couldn't have possibly been better.

Last night Mac and his wife had me over to their home for dinner. Mac's already been to Nigeria and asked about Tanzania ... particularly about the availability (or, the non-availability) of basic health care. And what could be done about it.

By the end of our conversation Dr. Mac told me he wants to take a year off and move to practice medicine in Tanzania. Mac asked my impressions, wanted to know what I thought of the idea and whether his plan would work. I didn't have to think too hard of an answer.

Just go one time.

Four simple words worth sharing ... as often as you can.

No comments: