Thursday, July 10, 2008

Like my leftovers?

I got a friend who's looking for boat speakers. I just happen to have a pair I'm willing to part with ... at no charge.

I was just about to apply the screwdriver to the grilles when my real motivation became apparent ... and much uglier.

I was killing two birds with one stone: by graciously donating my 23 year old speakers to someone in need, I was depicting myself as a generous, unselfish friend. But by giving up my ancient speakers I was subconsciously giving myself a self-righteous reason to buy what I actually wanted ... a brand new pair ... for myself.

Giving away my leftovers or anything else that's second best, and then buying something much nicer & better for myself, says something about misunderstanding what Generosity means.

But it gets even worse. Giving others second best - and then expecting them to sing praises of gratitude and act indebted to me for my generosity - reveals lots about my selfishness. Putting my material greed first also points to a shameful condescension and arrogance toward folks less fortunate than me.

When did God ever give us less than his best?

-- -- --

A generous man will prosper;
he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
- Proverbs 11:25

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."
- Matthew 7:12

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
- Luke 14:11