Sunday, July 13, 2008

Why did Christ die on the cross? (updated)

Not to teach us to wear a suit and tie to church on Sundays, or to wear choir robes or sing cantatas at Easter.

Not to define church as a building with a steeple.

Not so believers could embrace candidates or political action committees.

Not to allow his followers to pursue retribution, personal agendas or vengeance.

Not so Christians can feel superior, ridicule the less fortunate ... or point fingers at sinners.

Not to put God "on my side," do us supernatural favors, or make our lives happy and comfortable.

Not so you could act like a big shot at your church.

-- -- --


For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
- John 3:17

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
- Galatians 2:20

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
- Galatians 6:14

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:7