Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Oye, Chicos y Chicas: an easy home-made Cuban sandwich - actualizado

So this morning I went to the grocery store and bought a pork loin. Then covered it with olive oil and spice, and stuck it in the oven. About 100 minutes later, it came out looking like this:


Then I slapped some mustard on both sides of a day-old French loaf. I was so excited to be having a Cuban sandwich, I forgot to cut the bread diagonally:


Next came a slice of Swiss cheese, some ham, the roast pork ... and a slice of dill pickle:


I don't have a Cuban sandwich press, so I used two skillets. The one on bottom was set to medium heat:


The second skillet was used to press down each side for about a minute:


This is what a Cubano Joe tastes like:


Not bad indeed.

Maybe tomorrow I'll cook up some plaintanos, or frijoles negros y arroz blanco.