Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's an AWESOME day

Got weather?

It's 41.9 degrees here and overcast with rain. And 45 mph winds, too.


The GPS/XM alarm just switched on with a Marine Weather alert, but I wasn't planning on going to sea any time soon anyway. And Calypso's got central heat and hot running water so I'm all set.

The 24-hour forecast sees no improvement, and actually calls for the wind to keep up (at 45 mph) till tomorrow afternoon.



So what?

I think it's gorgeous outside.

-- -- --

Yesterday, after 9 weeks of fear, denial and procastination, I finally drove myself to the hospital and found out my knee was OK. No torn ACL, PCL or MCL, no Jumper's Knee, no dislocated patella , no Shin Splint, no Tendonitis, no tearing of the meniscus ... nor any sign of arthritis.

I could hardly believe my ears (maybe I shoulda asked the doctors to check my hearing, too).

Flummoxed and red-faced, after the doctors had twisted and torqued and bent and pressed and measured both legs in positions largely banned by treaty since the Inquisition, I shrugged and asked, "Then why does it hurt so much?"

One doctor rolled her eyes, shook her head and walked out of the examining room. The other squinted back like I'd just asked if he'd let me be a Guest Assistant during his next surgery. He looked me square in the eye and said, "Because you did something to make it hurt."

Of course, I knew it. I knew that all along.

-- -- --

Might not sound like much, but to me, finding out I hadn't damaged or blown out my knee was stunning news. A miracle. Compared to others, maybe a small miracle, but still a miracle just the same, and I want to thank my friends and the people who've been praying for me.

Especially Brent Sears, and Will Rodes ... who responded with wisdom (and unshakeable persistence) each time I thought of a new excuse to avoid making an appointment and going to see a (dreaded) doctor.

Love you guys.