Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Un-Wired to the world

Several folks keep reminding me I should attend Ravens games, be deferential to certain influential people and watch every episode of The Wire.  Just so I can Know And Belong.

Well in the first place tickets to home games are about $75 bucks, and  in the second place I'm unwilling to go to the trouble of driving Calypso, taking a cab or riding the water taxi to the (waterfront) stadium, so that option's out.  And I keep forgetting who's who, who's when and who's More Popular and Influential Than Ever.

But I did start watching The Wire on DVD from NetFlix.

I immediately noticed my worldview changed soon as I saw the first scene of the first episode from Season One.  Because The Wire takes place around me and in the environment where I am.

Suddenly I realized I was at the center of something huge, a totally urban and grungy mini-universe ... without even knowing it.  Suddenly I was "city-fied" and street-wise, surrounded by tough acquaintances familiar with death, drugs, promiscuous sex and violence; stone-faced men who speak from a full vocabulary of words and expressions unfathomable both to folks old as I am, or to most folks whose skin color is the same as mine.

Wow, The Wire world is where I live and its environment describes me ... just look out the window and see.  The Wire is a portal showing me who I am.

No no no, not at all: that reality is just a made-for-cable HBO TV series that happened to be filmed nearby, in familiar locations.  I even know some people who've appeared as regulars.

But neither The Wire, nor any sports team or man-made social statushas anything to do with defining who I am ... by the grace of God.

Because I Am Not.

---  ---
"Many people are trying to define who they are by a position or a title. Position or title will never satisfy your soul or define who you are. We must define ourselves by who we are in Christ alone."  - Jake Beaty
--   --   --

When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.
- 1 Corinthians 11:32

But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins."
- John 8:23-24

The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4