Thursday, October 02, 2008

Say the Blessin', Start the Cussin'

I've never worked in the food service industry, nor would I want to.  Because if I had, it might have closed my mind completely on ever wanting to step foot inside a church again.

Just based on what I've seen on Sundays.

I'm talking about customers ... the well-dressed folks who've obviously just left church (and filled with the Spirit?), who're impatient and growl at servers, complain about everything from "Do you know how long I've been waiting?" to "I want my steak medium sorta medium-rare and not medium sorta-rare medium like I got last time" to  how cold the air-conditioning is and "Can we sit somewhere else please?"

When their food arrives it's time to close their eyes, pray and give thanks.

We thank thee for this food and for thine blessings
And for thine bounties of which we about to receive.
Oh we are grateful, but please-
Raise heaven and earth to make sure
Our orders are delivered from the kitchen on time
And cooked to perfection, delivered still hot to our table
With clean napkins and silverware
Because we are hurried to get home and nap
Before the evening service.
And also please, save our server from hell if you can.
Amen.

Then finally, after filling their bellies and running their servers' legs off for 90 minutes, they're through with their meal, and leave him or her with fond memories of what church people are like ... and a two dollar tip.

--   --   --

Witnessing isn't optional, it's not something set aside for 11 AM that's wrapped up and put on a shelf at the end of the Sunday service, and it ain't  limited to "soul winning" or knocking on strangers' doors to share the Gospel.

Witnessing is everyday action.  

Witnessing means every person, every time ... and in every situation.