Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New don't fit inside the Old


Calypso is 24 years old and was equipped from the factory with a handful of 120-volt household outlets thoughtfully installed for convenience ... especially in potentially hazardous areas, like near sinks.

Marine electrical codes have changed a lot since then: the current standard now requires that any 120-volt outlet installed within 3 feet of a sink be outfitted with a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) to reduce the danger of receiving a lethal shock via faulty wiring.

I'd already replaced the outlets I knew about, but then I found another factory-original outlet half-hidden under a counter-top in the head (bathroom).

And so yesterday I decided to replace it.

Swapping-out all 6 wires (and their stubby 1-inch leads) only takes about 5 minutes ... assuming you've got the patience and dexterity of a neurosurgeon. Which means installing the new GFI took me about an hour --- and I was having a good day.

Once I'd sweated and coaxed every connection into place and screwed down each lug, I breathed a sigh of relief. I was finally done ... and tried pushing my new GFI into place.

But No, oh no way: 1984-era outlet boxes aren't wide enough to accommodate 2008-era Ground Fault Interrupters. Which means I'll have to take everything apart, yank out & replace the original box, and then start the GFI installation all over again.

See, sometimes the new version is too BIG and too improved to fit inside the original faulty container. Which means chucking the old box out: it's too small and can't serve any useful purpose any more.

-- -- --

Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.
- Galatians 6:15

For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.
- Romans 6:6-7

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
- 2 Corinthians 5:17