Friday, May 05, 2006

Confessions of An Emotionally Shallow Mind

This is gonna be real hard, so I'll try to be real quick, too.

It takes me a long time to figure stuff out - I'm one of the people who just don't get it. Like, Wednesday night at New Spring the programs had a glossy white reverse side that spelled BIG in a cool stylized white font ... so I spent the next 36 hours trying to peel the white letters away - thinking there was a stubborn decal glued underneath.

Wait, it gets worse. I've met maybe 5 folks who claim they can see auras and each time I was told either my aura's battery's run down, or somewhere back in the garage waiting for parts. I even dated a Clinical Psychologist for two years; she told me I have roughly the same complexity as a saltine cracker. When it comes down to hearing "What's wrong? You should just know what's wrong!" well, you may as well try getting an answer from a traffic cone.

I also hate being cornered and forced to listen to other peoples' favorite songs because I already know I'll like my favorite songs better... but ballooning around the blog-o-sphere yesterday I found Jewel's 1000 Miles Away.

Looking back on the 56 or so of my relationships that have ended so badly, 1000 Miles Away best relives what it's like waking up at 3 AM and feeling like you've been abandoned on a forgotten planet ... and the total unfairness of suddenly realizing you've been in love alone.

Don't worry, I'm gonna snap myself out of it before The Jerry Springer Show comes on in a little bit. In the meantime I've got a full box of scented Kleenex ready beside the keyboard so here we go with today's playlist:

1000 Miles Away (acoustic live) - Jewel
Ball and Chain - Big Brother and The Holding Company
I Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding (Live at Monterey preferred)
Come Live With Me - Ray Charles (very hard to find; try Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall instead)

Special Papa Ridgeback Growl-Out today to My Boy Brent - it's his last day in Greenville.
Brent, this one's for you: How Many More Times - Led Zeppelin

2 comments:

Brent said...

Thanks for the shout out Diddy.

Anonymous said...

By 68 you should know a few a few things Dear Papa:
1. We over-glorify relationships when they are over - forgetting the horrible morning breath.
2. If people put half as much time thinking about their relationships as they do mourning them when they are over...well...the world would have a lot fewer EXs.

Maybe, "hating to listen to other peoples favorite songs" is at least to some extent a symtom of the attitude that caused your 56 bad breakups.

Here's a helpful hint: Try replacing Jewel's 1000 Miles with Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi - I'm just saying...