Friday, May 26, 2006

May 26, 1944 - Huburt Sammons

I never met my great uncle Huburt.

Huburt Sammons was my grandmother Hall's younger brother, a gunnery instructor in the Army Air Force. At 7:19 PM on May 26, 1944 Uncle Huburt and a crew of 9 other airmen aboard B-24 Liberator #42-51180 departed Goose Bay, Canada en route on a 9 hour 46 minute direct flight to Nutts Corner, North Ireland. 62 other aircraft left Canada that night on the same route.

Shortly after reaching a cruising altitude of 11,000 feet, flight B24 #1180 (Code Name Bloomer Tare) vanished over the Atlantic. The last radio message the crew received before being being passed off to Canadian air traffic control was, "You are now leaving the United States. God Bless You."

Huburt was 26 years old.

My great-grandmother Maude Sammons only received two telegrams about Huburt's disappearance: the first one simply said his flight was overdue in Ireland; a few days later a second telegram reported Huburt was presumed dead. When I was about 6 years old I remember seeing the framed black and white photograph of Uncle Huburt in his Air Force uniform and cap at my great-grandmother Sammons's house and asking my father, "Who's that man?"

But the Air Force never offered any details or explanations about the flight's disappearance.

After all, in 1944 America was engaged in a desperate war with the Nazis in Europe and the D-Day Invasion of France was just 11 days away. By the end of World War II America had suffered 407,316 war-related deaths and the disappearance of 10 airmen during a routine ferry flight across the Atlantic seemed insignificant. Beyond ordering aircraft departing along the same route that night to report any signs of wreckage or survivors, no formal search was ever undertaken.

For whatever reasons, the official Aircraft Accident Report was classified Confidential until just a few years ago. Earlier this year I assembled copies of reports including documents from Air Force Achives, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, and from the airplane manufacturer's (Douglas-Tulsa) records. It's interesting to compare what the different sources recorded as fact.

Even though it's been 22,644 days, 13 hours and 25 minutes since Huburt disappeared, it's still interesting that the reports don't always agree on what happened ...

Weather conditions were perfect for an Atlantic crossing... absolutely clear all the way to Ireland. According to the Air Force Accident Report from May 29, 1944 "There was no contact with the plane after its departure from Goose Bay" at 7:35 PM. Yet Huburt's aircraft was one of 62 airplanes en route to Ireland that night - and no one recorded a distress call on the radio?

An Air Force Description of Accident report 18 days later on June 16 1944 indicates the plane contacted Cape Harrison Radio (Labrador) at 8:54 PM, not 7:35 PM as previously recorded ... which is exactly the same time a log entry from Royal Canadian Air Traffic Control indicates radar contact with the aircraft was lost over the Mealy Mountains ... 204 miles from Goose Bay.

The Individual Aircraft Record Card, obtained from the National Air and Space Museum, indicates the the aircraft was "condemned" with a code which, according to the Smithsonian, "we have not seen before, FFC. We can conjecture only, but it is possible this might have been short-hand for Friendly Fire Casualty." [my italics]

Friendly fire? On a routine ferry flight across the Atlantic? Why would the Air Force use an unfamiliar code to indicate why Huburt's airplane went missing?

My father, who was 16 years old at the time, remembers talking to Huburt just before he left for Ireland that summer in 1944. But no one's sure what happened to Huburt's black and white photograph after my great-grandmother passed away in 1974.

May 26, 1944 was 62 years ago ... had he survived Uncle Huburt would be 89 years old today. But I'd still like to know what happened that night over the Atlantic, if only because I don't know happened.

I recently spoke on the phone with the great-niece of 2nd Lt. Elvin L. Pentecost, who was the airplane's co-pilot that night. You can see his memorial here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11048202

The airplane's pilot, 2nd Lt. Virginius Stell, Jr., attended VMI until joining the Army Air Force. An anonymous classmate maintained a memorial page, including a photograph, until last month.

Navigator 2nd Lt. James R. Thompson's sister also maintained a web memorial until just a few weeks ago; I was never able to locate her address, and can only assume she's passed away.

Flight B24 1180 Crewmen
Virginius R. Stell, Jr. - pilot
Elvin L. Pentecost - co-pilot
James R. Thompson - navigator
Ernest D. Lampkin - bombadier
Edward J. Harlacher
Copeland A. Forrester
John Demko
Warren F. Carr
Huburt D. Sammons
George H. Brown

Their names are listed individually among the missing at the American Battle Monuments Commission:
http://www.abmc.gov/search/wwii.php

B-24 Liberator image:
http://www.aviation-history.com/consolidated/b24.html

8 comments:

Karmen Nava said...

Hi Joe,
My name is Karmen Nava, and it was me you spoke with about Lt. Elvin Pentecost (my great-uncle).
I, like you, am still wondering what happened to these men. Whenever I happen to see something about WWII, I can't help but think about Uncle Elvin.
I just wanted to pop in & say hi. Please keep in touch, and keep me in mind if you ever get new bits or pieces.. I will do the same.
Karmen

joe hall said...

Karmen, thanks so much for staying in touch. It's great hearing from you!

It's funny, I was just thinking about Huburt the other day, and wondered if you had found out anything more about your great-uncle Elvin. I wish I had some way of getting in touch with other family members of the crew aboard the flight that night.

I've moved since we were last in touch, and can't remember if I gave you my cell phone number (it stayed the same) or my email address.

I haven't been able to find out anything else since last time, but I haven't given up.

Karmen thanks again for keeping in touch,

-joe

Karmen Nava said...

Joe,
Please email me at bitty_up@yahoo.com. I found a group photo, with 13 men in it (including Uncle Elvin).I want to email you a copy, to see if perhaps your Uncle Huburt is in it. It isnt marked, so I have no idea when/where it was taken, so it may be a long-shot, but a shot none-the-less.
Karmen

Karmen Nava said...

Hey Joe,
Just making sure you got the picture I emailed... if not, it might be in your spam folder.
I got a copy of the Aircraft Card today, and from what I've researched online, FFC is "Fortezza" for confidential (whatever in the heck Fortezza means.. why doesnt it just say confidential???)
Ok, talk to ya later,
Karmen

joe hall said...

Karmen, I sent you an email last night about the picture ... did you get it?

-joe

Anonymous said...

FFC means Ferry Flight Crash.

This is from the book:

Aircraft Record Cards of the United States Air Force: How to Read the Codes By Robert A. Mann

Nothing to do with friendly fire.
The book is available on-line (at least in part) on Google Books.

joe hall said...

Anonymous, thanks for writing. It could be that Karmen and I got different copies of the original records, but the report I got indicated the cause was FFE.

Could FFE stand for Ferry Flight Event?

Anonymous said...

Karmen has an active thread here:

http://forum.armyairforces.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=193434&mpage=1#193488

I post often on armyairforces.com and started to research a little about the incident after Karmen's post. I ran across your site.

If you enter this entire phrase in Google, you are taken to the book online.

"Aircraft Record Cards of the United States Air Force: How to Read the Codes By Robert A. Mann"

This take you to Google Books, see page 70.

They don't seem have FFE as a code. FF is Friendly Fire. I wonder if FFC was misread as FFE at some point. Since you both seem to have copies of original documents I can't explain it.

It really seems odd that someone would have coded this as friendly fire without putting more information in the report. Loss rates on these flights could be very high. Sometimes 2% to 5%. so the lose of one plane out of 62 was not unexpected, unfortunately.