Friday, September 22, 2006

Flyboys


I was in Orlando a few years back standing with my face pressed into a chainlink fence, drooling, oogling across the hangar at Crazy Horse with my hip pocket feeling like somebody'd replaced my wallet with a hot waffle iron.

I resisted, and didn't sign up for the dual-controls P-51 Mustang orientation ride.

But I did go up for an hour in an open-cockpit 1930s-era Waco biplane (similar to the one pictured here) ... which is probably as close as I'll ever get to flying a real World War I-vintage fighter like the French Spad or the British Sopwith Camel ... much less a Fokker Dr 1 tri-plane like The Red Barron's.

Flyboys ("The adventures of the Lafayette Escadrille, young Americans who volunteered for the French military before the U.S. entered World War I, and became the country's first fighter pilots." - imdb.com) opens in theaters today.

More words would be wasteful.

1 comment:

Life Inside the Champagne Bubble said...

Joe Hall! You left us our very first comment ever, you wandering elephant zebra safari man, you.
-Fran and Ash