Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Whatever happened to that crotchety old guy?

When I was a kid I used to cringe every time I heard the name Paul. Seems like he spent most of the New Testament sailing around the Med & writing scolding letters to churches. He called believers "Brothers," but Paul didn't sound like the kind of relative you hoped would make a surprise appearance at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

At least, that was my old impression.

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." -Roman 12:9-10

"The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." - Romans 13:12

"Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." -Romans 13:10

"What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a whip, or in love and with a gentle spirit?" - 1 Corinthians 4:21

"I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." -1 Corinthians 2:3-5