Saturday, August 26, 2006

Dummy Is As Dummy Does

Am I Starting To Dodder? Department
Man, sometimes I think I need to wear an armor suit.

Just as I thought my big toe was on the mend, while taking pictures of Ben the other day I stupidly dropped the engine room hatch on the same toe. It was quite excruciating, but I had to laugh till it quit hurting.

Then yesterday I went through the bank drive-through to make a deposit, and made a move with my left hand to grab the receipt as the teller moved her mechanical stainless steel tray toward me.

The first finger of my left hand caught the accelerating tray corner on the second knuckle perfectly ... if you're into slicing sausages, that is. Oh baby yeah, did that hurt beyond my wildest expectations.

I was really disappointed I didn't have a new child to show for my suffering.

Twenty-five minutes later it was still bleeding profusely and the pain had advanced over to my thumb and almost to my elbow. Soon as I master boat plumbing, I'm gonna learn to give myself stitches.

My Brain Must Be Almost Full Department
Last year I'd already learned almost 80 Swahili words, along with present, past and future tenses. But that was last year.

The other day I pulled out my flash cards, and discovered someone had broken into the house and changed all the words around. Since only a handful were still familiar, a burglar has to be the only reasonable explanation.

Anyway, here's some fun Swahili words. Say them out loud, without smiling. Dare ya.

food - chakula
cat - nyau (pronounced "neeow" - ain't Swahili great?)
dance - michezo
tattoo - chale (cha-le)
fruit - matunda
water - maji
sleeping place - malalo
bathroom - bafu
sun - jua
friend - rafiki
God - Mungu

See? Now you're all set.

1 comment:

Jules said...

This would definately come in handy. For example, someday I may need to say this:

God, would you please provide me with food? Maybe some fruit and water for my friend, the tattoed cat, who loves to dance and lives in the bathroom of my sleeping place in the sun.

-J-