Saturday, August 12, 2006

How Swift Is Your Sword

I was asleep by 10PM last night to I could get up at 4AM and watch Quentin Tarantino Presents Hero at theater-appropriate volume to start the day.

Loved it, loved it. The plot, revealed a bit ponderously through flashbacks a la Rashomon, doesn't quite roll along like a Hollywood express train but the photography is gorgeous, the special effects are dreamily ingenious, and the DTS 5.1 soundtrack is amazing.

But the most important thing is that Ziyi Zhang is a baby doll.

She was terrific in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and heart-breakingly adorable in The Road Home (which, even though The Blue Book categorically rejects melancholy sentimentalism and especially "having a good cry" as intolerably wimpy, The Road Home merits the highest possible recommendation ... just have your tissues ready).

Now I'm anxious to see Memoirs of A Geisha.

Today I'll be wandering the bamboo maze in the backyard, honing both my swordfighting and flying skills.

My name in Mandarin is Hu Zhan ou (call me Hu for short)

The calligraphy looks like this:

Get your Chinese name here.

Kung Pao Chicken recipe here.

2 comments:

o.r.p. said...

I LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha! I read the book and the movie did not disappoint! VIsually,it is stunning. I still havent seen The Road Home. I need to see that...

--b

joe hall said...

Orp, I've watched The Road Home probably 3x and would never say so, but I blubbered every time.