Saturday, August 19, 2006

Saturday Slacker

Don't ya hate it when bloggers save time by lifting quotes and cliches from other blogs?

Eeeh, I'll just swap out the word(s) I don't like and add a few I do:

"Motivation determines how well you will do.
Attitude determines how well you are feeling ...
Especially about yourself."


Rejected by The Blue Book Department
Believe it or not, The Blue Book has a blog slush pile ... fully-written, complete posts that never see the light of the interweb. Usually b/c they ramble from here to Greer and back w/o going anywhere.

I e-mail myself a polite rejection slip, then forget about it and try to get on with the day.

What Would Joel Do? Department
I burned a mix of last week's most listened-to songs on Thursday, and used Nero Express's auto-normalize to tackle the job of equalizing the various volume levels of 17 different songs.

Yuk, that didn't work. My ears can handle the volume of an orchestra accompaniment as it crescendos better than it can handle seu jorge singing solo at the identical level. Plus, some songs are just sweeter sounding, and free of heavily saturated, over-mixed effects from the mixing board.

The Blue Book still thinks tube Neumann mics and 1/2" Ampex recorders (with tubes) pressed in vinyl produced more natural sounding recordings than anything else.

Call me retro.

So I'm re-doing another CD the old-fashioned way, and normalizing each song individually. Might even add the tube mic sound fx, so there.

Lunch with ORP Department

I can't call Orp an old friend 'cause she's not nearly old, but she's definitely one of my best friends ... I've known her 12+ years and she's one of the best people to have as a friend. Lunch yesterday was great ... despite the surly, mean-spirited hostess [blog slush pile claimed her antics].

Thanks Orp. Have a safe trip to SF with L.

1 comment:

o.r.p. said...

The feeling is mutual, Pops. :D Lunch was great..we'll do it again when i get back.

--b