Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm Not Gonna Do It

Those of you who've been keeping up with my adventures trying to get my SeaCamper into some kind of live-aboard situation may remember earlier this year when, with Ben parked in the driveway, the bilge pump failed and rainwater seeped to a standing depth of about 4" inside the cabin.

It only took a few months of cleaning, crying and disinfecting to get through the cosmetic damage but then I learned that SeaCampers came from the factory with open-cell foam, for flotation in case the boat starts sinking, sealed in fiberglass under the cabin floor.

Open cell foam absorbs water ... and many SeaCamper owners report removing almost half a ton of water-sogged foam from under their floors during rennovation ... which naturally requires gutting the boat's interior.

Hmmm. Should I start thinking about doing that now, before Ben gets back in the water?

Naaah, I'll wait till everything else is finished, then jump back to Step 2 and start over.

No comments: