Saturday, December 02, 2006

Trawler Fest '07 - updated

Today's post comes pre-disqualified from serious consideration ... it's a daydream, after all.

What're we doing next summer? We're taking a month off and touring Florida by trawler like we talked about ... if we assume Ben's running by then.

Because I'm the man (and Papa after all) I've pre-arranged our itinerary. Don't start complaining too soon if it looks like I've forgotten anything, 'cause there might be a few surprises along the way.

Day 1 -Wakullah, Florida

Wake up in our cabins at the Shell Island Fish Camp and Marina. Pick up last-minute items at the Bait and Tackle store, board Ben and follow the west Florida coast south toward Yankeetown, which protocol demands we bypass on principle.

Arrive Cedar Key, Florida

We've got dinner reservations waiting at The Seabreeze on the Dock. After dessert we'll head over to The Island Hotel, built in 1859, for coffee. This is what the hotel looked like in the 1940s.

This is what it looks like today:


Our our way back to Ben I'll show you where I used to live on Second Street ... I think I can still find it.

Day 2 Siesta Island, Florida
The best white sand beaches in the world. Plan on staying an extra day, so I can tinker with any mechanical glitches while you spend the day shopping in town. If you're back in time we'll take a long stroll along the beach, hold hands and sneak a kiss or two with our eyes closed once the sun sets.


Day 4 & 5 - John's Pass & Treasure Island

We'll be flexible here because you might want to stick around and have dinner at The Don Cesar since we're in the neighborhood. Scott Fitzgerald thought The Don was swell.


Day 6 - Flamingo
All I'm gonna say here is be ready to roll before sun-up ... and pack a motorcycle helmet and a camera.


Days 7-10 The Conch Republic

Wow, I'm worn out. Let's plan on laying low at Hemingway's house, visiting Fort Jefferson and being expatriates for the weekend. Or three.

Assorted live Cayo Hueso cams are available here. My favorites are Mallory Square and Sloppy Joe's, obviously.

Day 24 - Sandy Cay, Bahamas

Remember that shot at the opening of Gilligan's Island? Sandy Cay (also known as Honeymoon Island) is the closest Bahamian island to the US and that's where we're headed ... at least till things settle down back on the mainland.

(Don't tell me what happened, I don't want to know the details.)

Days 25-29 At large in Bimini

Day 30
A short taxi ride along the narrow highway through Alice Town takes us to the ramp where the seaplane flight home is waiting. Neither one of us seems much in the mood for talking, as though staring out at the waves and the fishermen's huts blurring past the windows could make the past 30 days last forever.

At the customs shack you check your luggage at the counter and suddenly whirl around. "Where are your bags?"

I can't face what I see in your eyes then and turn back to the window and the docks. Outside the seaplane's engines whine in protest, rumble and roll over, the propellers kicking white spray out of sight behind them.


Then the blades are spinning dizzily and the flimsy walls seem ready to rattle loose from the blast. The attendant points to the seaplane and motions the last stragglers aboard. Behind me and what seems like years ago, over the propellers and between the thunder and wind I hear you whisper, "I'll stay too, if you want me ..."

But when I turn around there's nothing there, nothing in your eyes and nothing anywhere else to hint that you'd said it.




Saturday Night's See You In Cuba Playlist: Live Radio from Key West

Radio Margaritaville

No comments: