Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Lovin' it

Why am I up at 3 AM with my fingers glued to the keyboard here at The Blue Book?

Because this is my most favorite fable, and one of the very best:

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out and kept going until he reached a river.

He couldn't see any way across. Then he saw a frog sitting on the bank.

"Mr. Frog! Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you then I would die too, because I can't swim."

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river.

Halfway across the river the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and a deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we'll both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and said, "I couldn't help myself. It is my nature."

No comments: