Sunday, December 17, 2006

What, ME worry?

Sometimes I gotta make myself go to church.

I mean it, sometimes on Sunday afternoons I watch the clock creep past 5 PM and tell myself There's No Way, Not Tonight, I'm Not Going & You Can't Make Me. Just seems like too much trouble to take a shower, change clothes, drive for 10 minutes and all that.

You know the routine and all the excuses that lead up to explaining on Monday morning, "Well, I almost went."

But a couple of weeks ago I figured out what's going on. I think I might not feel like going because there's going to be something happening in church I need to see and hear. Maybe you don't believe in demons or a literal Satan who enjoys tossing temptations and distractions in our direction, but I do.

Maybe that's not the case here, but on the other hand ...

Tonight on my way to church a car pulled out in front of me from The Regency and crossed my lane to get into the right-hand lane while I was booking along in the left lane at 50+ mph. I couldn't believe any driver with eyes would pull out across oncoming traffic moving at that rate of speed - but then it got worse as she changed her mind and pulled over into my lane.

My brakes locked up and I was actually, literally going sideways trying to keep from 4-wheeling over the top of her car.

You may already have guessed the reason why she had to pull out and then change lanes so suddenly: she wanted to turn in at the same place I did ... the church parking lot. Which she then proceeded to drive across at about 5 miles an hour.

But I didn't yell or say a single word or do anything to let her know everything she suddenly had to be THANKFUL for.

Really I didn't ... because instead of being upset because this driver seemed blissfully unaware that she'd come within a second of losing her life for no good reason, I had the sudden feeling tonight's message was gonna be The World Series, The Super Bowl and The Triple Crown all rolled into 45 minutes, and what had just happened might've been put there to distract me.

Check out the message and see ... you can download or listen to it here.

2 comments:

o.r.p. said...

Is it the same if you listen to the podcast every week but don't actually make it to church? ;) On second thought, perhaps I should be asking this question of the Rev'rend Joe Dale...

--b

joe hall said...

Ha ha, listening to the podcast doesn't "count" any more than watching a Reb Lobster commerical "counts" as having a sit-down meal.

:-)