Sunday, August 19, 2007

Drive 8 hours for a WHAT!?

A friend of mine lives in a marina in a nearby northern state.

She called me and after a few minutes, told me she'd recently met a man in his late 40's who'd started his own business right out college, sold it last year, and had just arrived home after he and his wife piloted their $3.5 million yacht from California, through the Panama Canal, on a 9-month cruise all the way back to their home marina on the northeast coast.

They aren't live-aboards either, because their primary residence is a house located outside D.C. So maybe their yacht's only a kind of second home.

The trouble is, my friend told me, that this man had told her he didn't understand what had happened to his life because, "Nothing's fun any more." He said he was bored, woke up without having a real reason to get out of bed and didn't understand why.

He said he had all the money he needed to travel any where in the world, to buy whatever he wanted, or try any new experience that caught his attention. He just couldn't think of anything worth doing.

My friend was puzzled and asked me, "How would you answer a question like that?"

I closed my eyes for a minute and then told her, "Ask him if he's ever tried a milk shake from Chik-Fil-A."

No comments: