Sunday, August 26, 2007

When waiting counts

The past five months I've been thinking about taking a rifle with me to TZ.

It's perfectly OK (with the right permits) so legality's not the issue; the question has more to do with considerations like (a) Which one could I afford to lose, or have stolen? (b) Will ammunition be available once I'm there? and (c) Which one is powerful enough (because there's things over there that bite real hard and aren't choosy about counting their calories either), without always being "over-gunned."

I've only got one rifle that fits all three criteria, so clearly that must be the "right" choice, right? Well, no. A rifle (particularly one intended for dangerous game) is more than just pieces of metal and wood held together with screws.

A mass-produced, off-the shelf generic one-size-fits-all rifle might fit and "feel right" for most guys and seem like the best choice, but it won't "feel right" for me if it doesn't fit, or if I have the slightest doubt about its quality or its dependability.

The choice becomes more complex remembering that my life, literally, could depend on making the right choice the very first time.


It's futile to expect uniqueness, personality or attractiveness from anything that's easily available or negotiable for a discount. The romance, mystery and intrigue just won't be there, ever, because its only value lies in using it until something better comes along.

A new rifle that arrives looking like it's already spent years being banged around in the back of a safari truck's just not worth keeping for the long haul.
-----

See, I expect us to be together through thick and thin for a long, long time and every time I steal a glance at or pick up my little rifle I wanna hear myself thinking, "Wow, it's not just that you're gorgeous, timelessly stylish and more finely assembled than a handmade Swiss timepiece.
"It's also that you've been designed with one purpose, that you're powerful, utterly capable, reliable and and totally dependable in the stickiest situations. You aren't just the right choice, you're the only choice ... and I'm confident if we're ever out on our own and things start getting hinky, so long as I do my part I can depend on you to do your part ... and together we'll keep our grass outta the fire and have a life-time of adventures together.

"It just feels good knowing you're here and there's not a day that goes by that I don't appreciate you even more. I've never had any doubt that you are the best choice I coulda possibly made. You've never showed me otherwise, and it was totally worth waiting to find you.

"That's just a few reasons why I'm glad you're here ... and I know by tomorrow I'll see even more."

OK, if talking to a rifle sounds weird, then imagine I was talking to a woman instead.

-----
Here's a fact: it's nothing for a man (or woman) to agonize over which rifle to choose from all the available choices and options, then wait six years for delivery of the "Best Royal Grade Rifle" custom-made to fit him or her in every way.

Waiting six years for a rifle seems worth it when that's what we've been looking for, know that's exactly what we want, and that anything less will never do.

But then other times people can't wait five minutes before jumping into bed with a new partner, or think nothing of diving into the first or most convenient relationship that drops into their laps ... because when it comes to waiting and making critical decisions that will affect and impact every facet of their lives forever, expecting folks to Wait for the One Custom-made to Fit in Every Way is asking too much, and they'll reach for whatever's still left on the shelf.

Heck they might even think it sounds stupid hearing that their lives will be impacted forever (think heart ache, or charging elephants) by jumping the gun early and making a mistake.

That's what sounds weird to me.

2 comments:

Francake said...

Good post!
-f

o.r.p. said...

Yeah, some rifles are definitely worth waiting for! ;-)
--b