Saturday, August 23, 2008

Deep Impact

According to folks more smarter than me, Karl Barth was one of the most important Christian thinkers of the 20th century.


Wikipedia hints that Barth gave Calvinism a big kick in the pants:

"Barth's doctrine of election involves a firm rejection of the notion of an absolute decree. In keeping with his Christo-centric methodology, Barth argues that to ascribe the salvation or damnation of humanity to an abstract absolute decree is to make some part of God more final and definitive than God's saving act in Jesus Christ. God's absolute decree, if one may speak of such a thing, is God's gracious decision to be for humanity in the person of Jesus Christ."

I don't know anything else about him, except that these quotes make me think Barth had a gift for plain-speaking, plumb pure and simple:

- "Jesus does not give recipes that show the way to God as other teachers of religion do. He is Himself the way."

- "Belief cannot argue with unbelief, it can only preach to it."

- Once a young student asked Barth if he could sum up what was most important about his life's work and theology in just a few words. The question was posed even with gasps from the audience.

Barth just thought for a moment and then smiled, "Yes, in the words of a song my mother used to sing me, 'Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.'"