Friday, August 22, 2008

Just look what I've done

Man, I've done so many bad things ... there's no way God could ever forgive me. How can I be sure he loves me, and that I've been forgiven?


Some sins seem to stick like glue, don't they?

No matter what we've read in scripture or heard in sermons, when we're all alone, sometimes the past arrives with a punch that leaves us staggering with a painful, nagging doubt about ourselves ... Wow, what kind of person would do that? ... and cause us to look at ourselves and feel, not "left behind," but left out.

I'm talking about the sins that seem permanent, inescapable and irredeemable.

Except that God's grace is eternal ... and his love is bigger than any of our doubts. Paul had persecuted Christians, but after seeing Christ on the road to Damascus his life changed forever, and he would later write:

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
- 1 Timothy 1:15-16

-- -- --

Christ never said, "Look backwards and there shall you find me."

Instead he promised, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
- Matthew 11:30

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

- Ephesians 1:6-8

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
- 1 Chronicles 16:34