Friday, August 22, 2008

Sometimes I amaze myself


Tonight I fixed a problem.

The starboard (right-hand) speaker at Calypso's helm didn't work; the problem turned out to be a bad connection at the CD player.

Aren't you impressed?

It was dark by the time I had the solution worked out and when I was finished, almost as a reflex, I glanced up at the nighttime sky (weather is important when you live on a boat).

Shoot. There's some big stuff- galaxies that dwarf the Milky Way- hanging up there in the sky.

Things so big and amazing I can't even pretend to understand.

-- -- --

We have doubts and feel so overwhelmed about the circumstances of our lives that we'll lie awake nights yearning to simply have more control, make ourselves sick worrying about the big WHAT IF issues, that we'll buy best-sellers, consult today's newspaper astrology forecast, talk over our problems with any stranger who'll listen, start a new diet, hire a personal trainer, go out bar-hopping or binge-drinking for "relaxation because I've earned it" ... whatever it takes to quiet the doubt inside and just make us feel better about ourselves.

-- -- --

Even with the nighttime sky there to remind me, the idea that the Creator who made everything from nothing loved me so much he was willing to be born on earth as a man with the sole purpose of dying in my place seems amazing. But then God's awesomeness is more than amazing: It's incomprehensible.

Just look at the sky.

God is total, complete, unqualified, infinite and perfect Love.

-- -- --

Understanding Christ's love sometimes seems impossible because it's so vast and complete that I know I've done nothing to earn or deserve it.

And then to remember all he asks- that we love and follow him- is even more amazing.

-- -- --

Sometimes I amaze myself for protesting Yeah but, right now you're just getting in my way and holding me back from what I wanna do.

When feeling humbled, ashamed of my selfishness and unworthy of his sacrifice- would describe my position in the universe, down to the last atom, better instead.