Monday, August 11, 2008

When more than words are required

Earlier this year I went to court with a friend who was facing criminal charges pointing to three years in prison. Neither one of us knew what the judge would decide or what the outcome might be. Except the possibility that he might be led directly from the courtroom and disappear into prison for three years was gut-wrenchingly real and immediate.

Was it scary? I was there as a friend, as a spectator, and Yes it was scary.

And I simultaneously realized I didn't know how to be supportive and reassuring, or even comforting, without offering false hope or optimism. Tired cliches like "Keep a stiff upper lip," or "Prison's not so bad," or "You can do three years standing on your head" would only prove two things: first, that in crisis you can always depend on me to bottom-out with a cliche; and second, that no matter how much you're in pain, I'm never at a shortage for free advice, especially when I have absolutely no idea or experience with what I'm talking about.

This verse came to mind ... instead of any cheap advice or wisdom I could muster.


Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
- Mark 12:30