Saturday, August 16, 2008

If the church fits, wear it

-I want to visit a church in my neighborhood tomorrow; I'm wondering whether I have the right clothes to wear to "fit in." So I'll probably stay home and watch the Olympics instead.


Peter tried to incorporate Jewish customs and traditions into his faith because he wanted to "fit in"; Paul's letters contain frequent admonitions to believers who ignored their freedom in Christ and chose to honor man-made rules and traditions instead.

How much has changed in 2000 years ... except for our reasons for creating a church that makes us feel important and wise?

Why do we try to force-fit church to conform to our Comfort Factor? Why do we argue that Holiness must mean the very things that make us feel good and important about ourselves?

Does church exist for us, or are we living for Christ?