Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sarcasm, Wrath, Impatience, Deceit and Condescension

"Of course I act like Christ because Christ thinks like I do, in every way. That not only proves I'm always right, but that I've always been right from the very beginning.

"It also proves God loves me more than you, because he's just like me in every way I can think of. So when I look in the mirror and start comparing, it's clear as my face that I'm better than you. Which I've also known all along."



Scripture doesn't teach that faith in Christ justifies our personal shortcomings and opinions, but that we're justified in the name of Christ and that we should try to live, and treat others, as he did.

Not like we want to.

When we identify ourselves as believers and yet continue to embrace what feels like our strengths ... our sarcasm and impatience with others when things don't perfectly suit ME, when we can't see that our willingness to use deceit and deception to trick others to get what we want is a sin, when we're obstinate that Nobody's A Better Christian Or Knows More Than Me and that makes me More Saved than you, or when we behave toward others as though You're a kook and a liar because you don't act like I think you should act and must not be a Christian after all ... well then I wonder, are we trying to model ourselves like Christ, or trying to model Christ to fit us?

-- -- --

Christ is our example ... and Christ knew from the beginning who would betray him. But does scripture mention that Jesus was ever sarcastic, wrathful, impatient, deceptive, or condescended to Judas?

No, and neither should we treat others- not anyone- in any way less than as Christ commanded.


And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.
- 1 John 4:16