Thursday, January 25, 2007

Asked and Answered

Am I a moron?

Last Thanksgiving I met one of McCoy's cousins who'd had a recent trip to the emerency room as a result of a knife accident. Best as I recall, what struck me (besides the size of the bandage) was when he said the wound, despite severing several tendons clear to the bone, hadn't hurt much until it started itching. So where am I going with this?

Hopefully not to the ER.

Around 6 AM this morning I was using my just-sharpened 4" Swiss Army lock blade, splitting thick rubber hose to use as plumbing anti-chaffing grommets between bulkheads. I remember telling myself, "Pushing down so hard on the blade toward your palm is probably a very bad idea" when the blade slipped and ...

Go on, see what happened next if you want to:














































Like cousin said, it didn't hurt much at all. Then a few minutes ago it started itching and he was right about that, too.

Footnote for the obliquely observant:

Notice how the pinky finger is a bit misshaped? The unusual blooming-tulip shape is the result of a little trimming I did a few years back with a .44 Magnum. (That one didn't hurt either, really not at all, until the sutures started itching under the bandage.)

2 comments:

o.r.p. said...

Yaaaaah!
Get something done about that before you get blood poisoning, Joe! *shiver*

--b

joe hall said...

Can I borrow Trigger's iodine bottle?

Nah, it's okay now. A little super-glue is faster (and more pain free)than stitches.